Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Raw Eggs: Nutrition in a Shell

 
 
I began by blending raw eggs in my smoothies. I had a few failed attempts at eating them raw on their own. I tried cutting them up in a small bowl and eating it bits by bits but I just couldn't handle the texture and taste. I recently came a cross a video of a guy swallowing them raw. As simple as that! Of course I decided to try it out! The first few times I did this I swallowed them without mixing in any saliva. I then began to chew the raw egg a little bit, and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed the texture and taste. Now it tastes like a cooked egg, very yolky, and almost salty. I'm starting to consume eggs this way as a pick-me-up :) It is pretty refreshing. My favorite way is still to drop them in smoothies. They completely enhance the taste and texture of any smoothie, and it is nice that it gives it a shine to the smoothie. 
I'm not sure why, but I don't handle well semi-cooked eggs. They leave me feeling dehydrated, brain-fogged, and with loss of energy. But they make me feel well when I consume them raw. Some people do great with scrambled, hard boiled, and fried eggs, but they just don't settle well with me when they are heated. I absolutely love the taste and texture of a good omelet or plain cooked egg. Does anyone know a possible reason for my reaction to cooked eggs vs in their raw state? 

So, you may be asking: hello?? Salmonella? Yes, I am worried about Salmonella, only when it comes to factory raised chickens. I do not buy factory farmed chickens (and meat) because of their treatment towards the animals, the health risks they possess, and I do not want my money going towards the business of these mass corporations who only care about filling up their pockets and not what the consequences are to the health of the public. High quality eggs are incredibly nutritious. Most of us are not getting enough Choline, which is abundant in eggs. Choline protects us from fatty liver disease and helps protect the structure of our cell membranes. The good fats in eggs balance our hormones, helps burn fat, strengthens our hair, nails, and skin, strengthens our nervous system, and keeps us filling full with good energy. We should not be worried about consuming raw eggs from a local, pasture-raised, preferrably organic farm. It has been reported that only 1 in 30,000 eggs are contaminated with Salmonella. These are eggs coming from huge farming industries cramming in sickened chickens pumped with antibiotics to keep them alive. Have you seen the hidden videos showing the sanitary conditions of the farm industries? Sick chicken will produce sick egg, which will make you sick. There is actually a high risk of Salmonella contamination from cooked food kept in the fridge than from consuming raw eggs. (I will look for the article where I learned this, I actually think it was from a book). 

Eggs protect us against disease with its carotenoids of lutein and zeaxanthin. Research has shown that Lutein found in eggs is easier to absorb than from other foods. (http://www.sapoultry.co.za/pdf%20Dr%20McNamara/Chung%20et%20al%20J%20Nutr%20134%201887%202004.pdf)

The fat and protein in eggs help to keep one feeling full for a long period of time until the next meal. Fat burns slower and gives a steady dose of energy. They are packed with nutrition. They provide us with fat soluble vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and B Vitamins. 

There have been cases of people healing their health by consuming raw quality meats (do research on this), raw dairy, and specially raw eggs.  

I am one fond of research, facts, history, but specially of people's experiences and experiences of myself.  

What to look for in an egg:
  • Make a fun trip to a farmer's market. Talk to the farmer about the eggs he/she is selling. Are the chickens raised out on the fields? Is the majority of their diet grass?
  • Preferrably, avoid corn fed and soy fed chickens. You can tell them you are allergic to soy if you want. Chickens require a little bit of corn/grain feed to get enough nutrition in them, but it shouldn't make up for the majority of their diet. 
  • Organic is best. However, I prefer pasture-raised over organic. You can find organic corn fed grain fed chickens which are not the best. 
  • When your back in the kitchen, the final product should be a rich deep orange colored yolk. A pale yellow color, or I would even say a bright yellow is a no go.    
 These eggs may be pricey compared to conventional eggs. But remember! Your paying for the quality and nutrition that your body will consume. I belief it is better to pay a little extra in the present time for your health than to get very sick in the future and pay tons for medicine and treatments. 

Happy egging :) 



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment