Friday, January 25, 2013

Mini Donuts-Paleo & Au Naturel

They say the only healthy part of a donut is... the whole in the middle. Not for these donuts! The ingredients used...and the ONLY ingredients used, were- Coconut Flour, grass-fed Butter, pasture-raised local eggs, Honey, Maple Syrup, Vanilla Extract, Baking Soda, and Sea Salt. They were then baked in the oven. They did come out a little too moist for a donut.

I decided to make mini Donuts as a birthday surprise for my Dad. I remembered a couple weeks ago he said how much he used to like Entenmann's donuts (these donuts are commercial donuts that are heavily processed flour with sugar and has a longer shelf-life than a human!) When my Dad said how much he liked those, my eyes widened at the thought of surprising him with a healthy version of a donut. Trust me...taste is SO not sacrificed. These taste absolutely delicious on their own, but the Cacao sauce tops it off.

Happy Birthday, Dad :) The greatest person in my life, with my momma.  He inspires me in many ways.


 
I went over to Marksdailyapple.com (Paleo community) to ask around for a good tasting healthy version of a donut. I didn't want to do a raw donut because so far the only recipes I have found for raw donuts contain nuts and dried fruit, which does not give the texture of a typical donut. I was looking for something on the cakey-side. So I decided to give these Coconut Flour Donuts a try!

Recipe used from Comfy Belly

My home-made pure Cacao Sauce:
-1/2 cup melted Cacao Butter
-1/4 cup Carob powder
-1/4 cup raw Cacao powder
-11 drops liquid Stevia Extract

Gently melt the Cacao butter in a double broiler. Once melted, turn the heat off, and slowly incorporate the powders into the melted cacao and mix well. Once it is smooth, remove from heat and stir.

Tip: to have the cacao sauce harden fast for decoration, have your plate be cold so once the cacao sauce touches the plate it becomes hard fast. For a smooth sauce make sure the serving plate is at room temperature and the cacao sauce is a little warm.


I don't know why, but I decided to flip them over. After I turned these babies upside down they remind me of a fried Peruvian dessert called "Picarones" ....hmm stay tuned for Part II of these donuts :p

 
I ran out of mini donut molds, so I used the leftover batter to make small cakes.
 
 
These would be delicious for breakfast! I may warm up one of these tomorrow morning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment